Bloomington, IN 47405
(812) 855-8664 FAX
Professor of Optometry
OD 1983 (Indiana University)
MS 1979 (Indiana University)
Dr. Carolyn Begley is a professor at the Indiana University School of Optometry. Her postdoctoral training in ocular immunology and biochemistry was completed at the University of Illinois Department of Ophthalmology. Dr. Begley's research interests span a wide range of topics in applied ophthalmic research and embrace both clinical and laboratory techniques. Most of her publications are in the area of the cornea, conjunctiva, tear film, and contact lenses--including the toxicology and microbiology of ophthalmic solutions, contact lens deposits, keratoconus, and ocular allergy. She has also published book chapters on ocular immunology and giant papillary conjunctivitis. Dr. Begley was instrumental in forming the research group known as the Dry Eye Investigation (DREI), which is investigating the symptomatology of dry eye and developing new tests to diagnose the disease. In 1997 she received the Garland M. Clay Award from the American Academy of Optometry.
- V543 General Pathology
- V752 Contact Lenses II
- Graduate courses in the area of cornea and contact lenses
- Liu H, Begley CG, Chalmers RL, Srnivas S and Wilkinson J. Spatial repeatability and temporal progression of tear breakup. Optom Vis Sci 2006.
- Begley CG, Himebaugh N, Renner D, Liu H, Chalmers RL, Simpson T and Varikooty J. Tear breakup dynamics: A technique for quantifying tear film instability. Optom Vis Sci 2006.
- Chalmers R L, Begley CB. Dryness among an unselected clinical population with and without contact lens wear. Contact Lens and Anterior Eye 2006.
- Chalmers, R. L., Begley, C. G., Edrington, T., Caffery, B., Nelson, D., Snyder, C. and Simpson, T., 2005. The Agreement Between Self-Assessment and Clinician Assessment of Dry Eye Severity. Cornea 24(7), 804-810.
- Rajagopalan, K., Abetz, L., Mertzanis, P., Espindle, D., Begley, C., Chalmers, R., Caffery, B., Snyder, C., Nelson, J. D., Simpson, T. and Edrington, T. Comparing the discriminative validity of two generic and one disease-specific health-related quality of life measures in a sample of patients with dry eye. Value Health 2005; 8(2), 168-74.
- Mertzanis, P, Abetz, L, Rajagopalan, K, Espindle, D, Chalmers, R, Snyder, C, Caffery, B, Edrington, T, Simpson, T, Nelson, JD, Begley, C. The relative burden of dry eye in patients' lives: Comparisons to a U.S. normative sample. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2004; 46(1): 46-50.
- Begley CG, Chalmers RL, Abetz L, Venkataraman K, Mertzanis P, Caffery BA, Snyder C, Edrington T, Nelson D, Simpson T. The relationship between habitual patient-reported symptoms and clinical signs among patients with dry eye of varying severity. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2003: 44(11): 4753-61.
- Himebaugh, N.L., Wright, A.R., Bradley, A., Begley, C.G., and Thibos, L.N. Use of retroillumination to visualize optical aberrations caused by tear film break-up. Optometry and Vision Science 2003: 80:69-78.
- Begley CG , Caffery BA, Chalmers RL, Mitchell GL. Use of the Dry Eye Questionnaire to measure symptoms of ocular irritation in patients with aqueous deficient dry eye. Cornea 2002; 21(7): 664-70.