Bloomington, IN 47405
(812) 855-8664 FAX
Associate Professor of Optometry
B.Opt. 1990 (Elite School of Optometry, Chennai, India)
MS 1992 (Pacific University, Forest Grove, OR)
PhD 2000 (University of Houston, Houston, TX)
Dr. Viswanathan received a Baccalaureate degree in Optometry from the Elite School of Optometry, Chennai, India in 1990; Master of Science degree in Clinical Optometry from Pacific University College of Optometry in 1992; and subsequently a Doctor of Philosophy degree in Physiological Optics/Vision Science from the University of Houston College of Optometry in 2000. Dr. Viswanathan joined the faculty of IU in 2000 and is currently an Associate Professor of Optometry and Vision Science. He teaches systemic and ocular physiology and problem based learning courses in the Optometry curriculum and visual neurophysiology and research ethics in the Vision Science graduate program. He also runs the visual electrodiagnostics laboratory at the IU School of Optometry and performs basic and clinical research in the areas of visual electrophysiology, glaucoma, and optic neuropathies.
- Hood, D.C., Frishman, L.J., Viswanathan, S., Ahmed, J. & Robson, J.G. (1999) Evidence for a ganglion cell contribution to the primate electroretinogram (ERG): effects of TTX on the multifocal ERG in macaque. Visual Neuroscience, 16, 411-416.
- Hood, D.C., Greenstein, V., Frishman, L.J., Holopigian, K., Viswanathan, S., Seiple, W., Ahmed, J. & Robson, J.G. (1999) Identifying inner retinal contributions to the human multifocal ERG. Vision Research, 39, 2285-2291.
- Viswanathan, S., Frishman, L.J., Robson, J.G., Harwerth, R.S. & Smith, E.L. III. (1999) The photopic negative response of the macaque electroretinogram: reduction by experimental glaucoma. Investigative Ophthalmology and Vision Science, 40, 1124-1136.
- Viswanathan, S., Frishman, L.J. & Robson, J.G. The uniform field and pattern electroretinogram in macaques with experimental glaucoma: removal of spiking activity. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, 41, 2797-2810.
- Frishman, L.J., Saszik, S., Harwerth, R.S., Viswanathan, S., L, Y., Smith, E.L. III, Robson, J.G. & Barnes, G. (2000) Effects of experimental glaucoma in macaques on the multifocal ERG. Documenta Ophthalmologica, 100, 231-251.
- Viswanathan, S., Frishman, L.J., Robson, J.G. & Walters, J.W. (2001) The photopic negative response of the flash electroretinogram in primary open angle glaucoma. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, 42, 514-522.
- Hood, D.C., Bearse, M.A., Sutter, E.E., Viswanathan, S. & Frishman, L.J. (2001) The optic nerve head component of the monkey’s multifocal electroretinogram. Vision Research, 41, 2029-2041.
- Hood, D.C., Frishman, L.J., Saszik, S.M. & Viswanathan, S. (2002) Retinal origins of the primate multifocal ERG: Implications for the human response. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, 43, 1673-1685.
- Harwerth, R.S., Crawford, M.L.J., Frishman, L.J., Viswanathan, S., Smith, E.L. III & Carter-Dawson. L. (2002) Visual field defects and neural losses from experimental glaucoma. Progress in Retinal and Eye Research. 21, 91-125.
- Viswanathan, S., Frishman, L.J., Robson, J.G. (2002) Inner-retinal contributions to the photopic sinusoidal flicker electroretinogram of macaques. Documenta Ophthalmologica. 105, 223-242.
- Harrison WW, Viswanathan S, Malinovsky VE. Multifocal Pattern Electroretinogram: Cellular Origins and Clinical Implications. (2006) Optometry and Vision Science. 83, 473-485.
- Viswanathan S. A brief overview of visual electrodiagnostic techniques. (2006) Indiana Journal of Optometry, 9, 24-29.
- Simpson MC, Viswanathan S. (2007) Comparison of uniform field and pattern electroretinograms of humans. Journal of Modern Optics, 54,1281-1288.
- Weber AJ, Harman CD, Viswanathan S. (2008) Effects of optic nerve injury, glaucoma, and neuroprotection on the survival, structure, and function of ganglion cells in the mammalian retina. Journal of Physiology, 586, 4393-400.
- Weber AJ, Viswanathan S, Ramanathan C, Harman CD. (2010) Combined application of BDNF to the eye and brain enhances ganglion cell survival and function in the cat after optic nerve injury. Investigative Ophthalmology Vision Science, 51, 327-34.
- Pitman RJ, Viswanathan S, Yolton RL. Introduction to special non-invasive tests for the assessment of vision in the elderly patient. In: Vision and Aging (2ed). Rosenbloom AA, Morgan MW (editors). Butterworth-Heinemann, 367-402, 1992.
- Viswanathan S. General Physiology. Review questions for the NBEO examination, part one. In: Lakshminarayana V, Bennett ES. Butterworth-Heinemann, 63-78, 2006.
- Weber AJ, Viswanathan S. (2008) The primate model of experimental glaucoma. In: Glaucoma: Mechanisms and management. Shields MB, Tombran-Tink J, Barnstable CJ (editors). Humana Press. 2008: 551-577.
Doctor of Optometry program
- V501 – Integrative Optometry I
- V542 – Systems approach to biomedical sciences I (General physiology)
- V543 – Systems approach to biomedical sciences II (General physiology)
- V560 – Vision Science I (Retinal physiology)
Graduate program in vision science
- V700 – Introduction to Vision Science (Neurophysiology track)
- V765 – Graduate seminar
- V768 – Special topics
- V792 – Ethical issues in biomedical research
- V793 – Critical analysis of peer reviewed publications in vision research
- Mike P. Venable (M.S, 2002) – The effects of hyperbaric oxygen exposure on normal retinal function of the rat. Current position: Exercise physiologist, U.S. Navy.
- Wendy Harrison (M.S, 2005) – Focal electroretinographic responses to contrast modulation of pattern stimuli - cellular origins and clinical implications. Current position: Graduate student in Vision Science, UC, Berkeley.
- Jonathan Bradley (M.S, ongoing) – Effect of aging on dark-adaptation kinetics of the rat electroretinogram
- Anthony Van Alstine (M.S, ongoing) – Multifocal photopic negative responses in open angle glaucoma.
- Verleen McSween (Ph.D, ongoing) – Retinal ganglion cell physiology in rodent models of glaucoma.
- Clinical visual electrodiagnostic laboratory, Indiana University School of Optometry